Thursday, March 8, 2012

Gloom, Despair and Misery

Ah, the joys of going to work. Too many people bring with them clouds to wear over their heads. They are not uniformly humorous. Other people play the passive aggressive card. They try to get other people to do their dirty work. So it goes. I choose to be happy anyway. Abraham Lincoln said most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. Let other people be the official carriers of gloom, despair and misery. It's a heavy coat that weighs the shoulders down after a while.

I choose instead to emphasize my mantra, "Freedom!" I'll be a Braveheart, not a Faintheart, and enjoy life, especially my life outside of work.

Another goal is to smile in the first three seconds of every encounter, whether I feel like it or not. I want to smile not only with my mouth but with my eyes. Eventually, I'd like to bring some of the Dr. Ball spirit of the late Whitman professor, who was renowned for making the people he met better off for the encounter. Maybe I can chase away some of the gloom and despair. The misery? I'm not so sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment