Tuesday, February 14, 2012

My Baby She Sent Me a Valentine

Before our first date, Oct. 26, 2008, I was driving over the Blue Mountains from Cove to Pendleton when Joe Cocker's "My Baby She Wrote Me a Letter" came on the radio right at the summit. How appropriate, I thought. Ever since Teri had responded to my Yahoo.com personals wink, on Oct. 12, we had been communicating back and forth with longer and longer emails. She had wrote me a letter and then some, more like "War and Peace" only with a better plot.

Today we celebrate Valentine's Day. It's one of our favorite holidays since the day is also Oregon's birthday and we truly love our home state with its infinite diversity, its sea level to ski level, its rain forests and high deserts. On Feb. 14, 2010, we got engaged at the Marcus Whitman Hotel in Walla Walla, celebrating ourselves, love and Oregon. The year before we traveled to Salem to help the state celebrate its 150th birthday and then on to the magnificent Oregon coast.

Now Teri sends me Valentines all sorts of ways. One of my favorites is through text messages accompanied by photos. Love, of course, is more than just a once a year occasion. It's an everyday thing that never gets routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment