Thursday, February 2, 2012

Happy Groundhog Day

We're celebrating Groundhog Day today. Despite its not being listed on my desk calendar at work, Groundhog Day is a major family holiday. For one thing, it's my favorite movie. Bill Murray plays the cynical weatherman who gets a chance to do one day over and over again until he finally gets it right. For another thing, Groundhog Day played a big role in my marriage proposal to Teri almost two years ago this Valentine's Day.

It started like this. When I got a second chance at romance, after my first wife Tina died of complications of diabetes at age 48 in 2007, I decided to make the best of it and in the Murray tradition try to do things right. First I had to spend a year getting over grief and getting my act together. Next I had to meet someone special. When I did, I wanted to try an experiment. What if I could create a good Groundhog Day, a good Groundhog Week, a good Groundhog Month and a good Groundhog Year?

First, though, I needed to concentrate on Groundhog Day. One day at a time. I wanted a good day with positive habits that I could repeat, one that through incrementalism would build romance over time. I think it worked.

Our Groundhog Day, of course, is a work in progress. If together, we have pillow talk, do some tai chi-esque stretching, have a first dance, give and get a 4:44 energy hug, give a back rub and kiss each other goodnight. If apart, we send e-greetings and treats, the occasional text message and email, and finish the day with a nightly phone call.

We celebrate Groundhog Day both once a year and every day. Once a year we celebrate with a decadent Family Holiday Sausage Feast. Every day we celebrate Groundhog Day by continuing to incorporate good daily habits that build the relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment