Sunday, May 15, 2011

Club 54

Teri has a boatload of friends. Mine would fit better in a canoe. When she joined Club 54, a month or so ago, I was a bit envious. Maybe it was some kind of exclusive, secret club. Other Facebook friends were chiming in that they, too, were members. They didn't seem totally happy with membership and all its requirements, but they did seem to be making the most of the situation and poking fun at their plight as members.

Curious minds want to know what's up and what's down and I am no exception. Since envy is one of the seven deadly sins, I decided I needed to get to the bottom of the situation before it drove me crazy.

Teri said "No worries, you'll be the youngest member of the club soon enough." Then the light went on. Club 54 is for all those Baby Boomers who are lucky enough to celebrate their 54th birthday. In late May, God willing and the creek don't run dry, I will become the newest member. Lucky me! I've survived the loss of a wife of 23 years to diabetes, a layoff from a dream job and the loss of a dream home, a chronic illness diagnosis and more to reach this point. I've discovered the Younger Next Year program and begun to create one of my own, the Gray Seals, which has made me more vibrant at this age than I ever thought possible. All the character-building experiences I've had to this point led me to meeting Teri, and in September, after an almost three-year courtship, we will be married.

Ta-Dah! That's what I say to her when she goes above and beyond the call of duty, which is often. Now I want to say a resounding Ta-Dah! to me and all the other soon-to-be members of Club 54 for living, loving and growing a little each day -- and not just around the mid-section.

No comments:

Post a Comment