Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Flashback: The game plan

It's a man's dream: having the whole house to himself. Belching at will. Drinking beer whenever he pleases. Taking a bath once a year whether he needs it or not.

I was miserable for a long time dealing with grief after my wife, Tina's death in September 2007. Sometimes I felt as if I would never crawl out from under that cloud.

Still, I enjoyed as time went on reinventing the house in a way where it would run most efficiently. Everything in its place. Order rules after years of chaos.

And I did begin to enjoy my newspaper job again, after months of going through the motions like a journalistic zombie. Finally, I saw the light at the end of a long tunnel. I saw hope.

I knew I wanted more. I needed a companion that didn't bark or meow. I needed someone to do things for, to do things with. I knew I might live another 30 years. It was too long a time to spend alone. Life is meant to be shared.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Glad you and Teri found each other. IT was meant to me. After the darkness of your grief, you found a beautiful rainbow called Teri! Keep the stories coming! You should start adding pictures!!!
    ~Lolly

    ReplyDelete